Monday, June 24, 2013

Secret Ingredient Zucchini Bread

I had a few zucchini leftover from one of our dinners last week, so I decided to try and make zucchini bread.  I found this recipe online, but I wanted to make it healthier.  I cut out a lot of the sugar, added whole wheat flour and flax, and subbed apple sauce for the oil.  Here is my version:

Makes 1 loaf (12 servings)
Ingredients
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup whole wheat flour, 1/4 cup ground flax
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1-1/2 eggs 2 egg whites
1/2 cup vegetable oil 1/2 cup apple sauce
1 cup and 2 tablespoons white sugar 1/2 cup brown sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup grated zucchini 2 cups grated zucchini
2/3 cup chopped walnuts

Directions
  1. Grease and flour 8 x 4 inch bread pan. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
  2. Sift flour, flax, salt, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
  3. Beat eggs, apple sauce, vanilla, and sugar together in a large bowl. Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well. Stir in zucchini and nuts until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
  4. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Remove bread from pan, slice, and enjoy!
The bread was super moist, had a nice crust on top, and was just sweet enough. Leah really liked the bread (another great way to get her to eat vegetables)!  And on a side note, I ran out of apple sauce, so the secret ingredient was a jar of apple cinnamon oatmeal baby food ;)   



1 comment:

  1. Sounds really good! I'll have to give this a try! I always forget to sub the oil for applesauce.

    ReplyDelete