Friday, February 1, 2013

Chalkboard Fun!

I've been meaning to share some of my DIY projects from Leah's 1st Birthday.  Here are a few using chalkboard spray paint and chalk markers (both purchased from Michael's).



So my first project was transforming an old IKEA mirror into something to display Leah's monthly photos.  I used the chalk markers to number each month and list her birth stats.  I wrote directly on the mirror.  The best part is, if you make a mistake, just wipe it off with a wet cloth and try again!  It was an easy first project, and we hung it in our entry way on the day of Leah's party.


My next project was filling an empty built in media center with pictures of Leah's "firsts".  I had my dad help me cut a piece of plywood that fit perfectly inside the space.  He also helped me spray paint the wood with the chalkboard paint in our backyard.  After it was dry, we inserted it into the media center and tacked it in with a few nails.  From here I took a stack of Leah's pictures and mounted them on the chalkboard with rolled painters tape (I didn't want to damage the chalkboard if I decided to take them down later).  Then I used the markers and labeled each picture and wrote "a year of FIRSTS".  Lastly, I had some wooden letters I bought from Michael's that spelled LEAH, so I simply placed them on the bottom of the cabinet.  



I also used the chalkboard paint and markers to make a guestbook sign from an inexpensive frame I bought from ROSS (they have great frames there!)  I spray painted the glass and wrote directly on the chalkboard.




What else have you used chalkboard paint and markers for?



No comments:

Post a Comment