Sunday, March 10, 2013

Skinnier Banana Nut Muffins

Last week I was planning on bringing homemade banana bread over to my friend's house for a play date, but of course, I ran out of time.  I took out my backup box of banana nut muffin mix and wanted to somehow make it healthier since each muffin is a whopping 210 calories with 9 grams of fat! I decided to sub applesauce for the oil and added a 1/2 cup of ground flax seed for added fiber (1/4 cup I mixed in the batter, and the remaining 1/4 cup I sprinkled on top of the muffins).  I also used soy milk and egg whites. 




They turned out moist and fluffy and my husband couldn't even tell they were a healthier version!  I did some research and found that with my substitutions each muffin contained 50 less calories, 5 less grams of fat, and almost 2 grams of added fiber!  That made me feel less guilty about eating 2 ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment